Steve Pressfield’s ‘Do The Work’ was the first book I’ve ever full read on my iPad… I know right ?!?
I normally like the tactility of a real book, or the effectiveness of an audiobook; but I decided to support Seth Godin’s Domino Project and grab the free Kindle version.
… and it was good. Both the book and the kindle experience.
- Start at the End
- Figure out where you want to go; then work backwards from there.
- Any project or enterprise can be broken down into beginning, middle, and end. Fill in the gaps; then fill in the gaps between the gaps.
- One rule for first full working drafts: get them done ASAP. Don’t worry about quality. Act, don’t reflect. Momentum is everything.
- The Process… Let’s talk about the actual process—the writing/composing/ idea generation process. It progresses in two stages: action and reflection. Act, reflect. Act, reflect. NEVER act and reflect at the same time
- Suspend All Self-Judgment
- Paddy Chayefsky famously said, “As soon as I figure out the theme of my play, I write it down on a thin strip of paper and Scotch-tape it to the front of my typewriter. After that, nothing goes into that play that isn’t on-theme.”
- That was when I realized I had become a pro. I had not yet had a success. But I had had a real failure.